What are the Village Hall hours?

Village Hall is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, closed for lunch.

Can I pay my water bill online?

Absolutely! Visit our website (www.davisjunction.com) and click on "Online Payments." The step by step instructions will assist you with paying your bill online. The payment processing company charges a service fee of 2.45% (or a $3.00 minimum) to cardholders who use credit cards, or $1.50 for checking accounts.
As always, auto pay is also available by completing the auto pay form found here.

What are the water/sewer/trash rates?

Water and Sewer rates are $5.75 per 1,000 gallons of usage (as of January 1st, 2022, pursuant to our Annual Fee Ordinance.) Additionally, the base fee for water is $2.50, while the base fee for sewer is $5.00.

The trash pick-up service fee is $19.24 a month for Village residents paying a utility bill. (Senior Rate $18.24) Generally, trash and recycling pick-up is on Thursdays at approximately 6:00 AM. Yard Waste Service is picked up weekly and is included in the monthly garbage fee (April to end of November, weather permitting.) Residents may use 33 gallon size trash cans marked with a large X, or large brown paper bags, and they cannot weigh more than 30 pounds.

The Utility bills are sent out by the 5th of the month and are due by the 25th of each month.  We accept check or credit/debit card. Auto pay is also available upon request. 

Current utility rates are established through an Annual Fee Ordinance which can be obtained from Village Hall at 815-645-8000 or by emailing the Village Clerk at djclerk [at] davisjunction.com.

Can I get my utility bill emailed to me?

Yes, residents can now receive their utility bills via email, in addition to the mailed bill or viewing the utility bill online. Email Village Clerk Sandie Maahs at djclerk [at] davisjunction.com for more information or visit Village Hall at 106 N. Elm Street, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (closed for lunch.) Please note that proof of ownership and identification may be required.

I need an additional trash can. How do I order one?

Starting October 1, 2022 - Please contact Northern Illinois Disposal at (800) 930-7321 for additional garbage or recycling totes. Please note that there is an annual fee of $36.00 for each additional tote, and a one-time delivery fee of $60.00.

Where can I recycle electronics?

The Ogle County Solid Waste Management Department offers electronics recycling usually the last Friday of the month from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and as well as two Saturdays each year from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you have any questions, you may reach them at 815-732-1020. For more information visit their website at www.OgleCountyIL.gov.

The Village of Davis Junction also hosts an annual electronics recycling date usually in June. For more information, please call Village Hall.

I am looking for a particular form. Where do I find the forms?

Click here to access forms.

What do I need a building permit for?

Basements, Decks, Driveways, Fences, Roofs, Pools & Sheds. If you have any questions on if a project needs a permit, please contact Village Hall or the Village building inspector. For building permit forms and regulations, click here.

How do I obtain a building permit application?

You may pick up building permit applications at Village Hall during normal business hours or they can be found on this website under forms.

What is the cost for a building permit?

The best way to request cost of a building permit is to complete an application. After completing the application, the building inspector will review the application and determine the cost based on inspections needed for your project.

Do I need a solicitor's permit?

Yes, anyone other than non-profit organizations needs to come to Village Hall to get a permit.  Each individual soliciting needs a permit. There is a $75.00 solicitor's permit fee required at the time of submitting the application.

Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?

Park Shelter reservations may be made by contacting Village Hall at 815-645-8000.

Reservation is not finalized until payment is made.

Can I rent the room at the fire station?

The fire department handles the reservations for their building. Contact information can be found on their website: LSRFire.com.

Do I need a Village ID tag for my dog?

No, This is not a required service. This is 100% optional and an additional service for being a resident.

Why should I sign up for a Village ID tag for my pet?

If your dog becomes lost, his Village ID tag will provide the "finder" with an ID number. By contacting the Village, the "finder" will provide the Village with the ID tag number. The Village can then contact the owner and reunite them with their beloved pet. This service is free of charge, and its primary purpose is to reunite you with your pet. Complete the attached form and return it to the Village to collect your Village ID Dog Tag. Feel free to contact us for more information. 815-645-8000

We also offer this service for cats.

Can the Village post something on the community page for me?

The Village of Davis Junction has its own Facebook page. We do not have any association with other Facebook pages. For factual information, news and happenings, please visit our Facebook page or website.